My 25th birthday just passed and I’ve been reflecting on these past 25 years and the experiences I’ve had. I compiled a list of things I’ve learned a long the way that I hope help you, encourage you, or give you something to think on. Within the 25 years that I’ve lived I feel like I’ve lived 100 lives. Although I’m only a quarter of a century old, I have a few pearls of wisdom to share!
1.Never take advice from someone you wouldn’t be willing to trade places with.
2. You get further with honey than vinegar- kindness and gentleness go a long way.
3. Protect your happiness.
4. Take care of your star player aka YOU- treat yourself to great bags and shoes, a pedicure, or a cupcake! Don’t wait for anyone else to do this for you.
5. Get good at saying no- no to situations and people that don’t feed you emotionally, mentally, or spiritually.
6. They always come back- my cousin told me this when I was 15 and it’s always held true. Boys will always come back even if it seems like they don’t care or have moved on. They always, always come back-but by then you will have moved on!
7. Never stop learning- the end of learning is the beginning of death.
8. Travel is the greatest teacher.
9. Protect your dream- don’t share it with everybody, nurture it while it is still in its infancy.
10. When people walk away from you, let them walk. No one who left is tied to your destiny.
11. As a man thinketh so is he- you have to believe you’re capable for people to see you as capable.
12. There’s a purpose to your pain. What helps me through hard times is knowing that I’m not going through this in vain, but to help others who may deal with the same issues.
13. When people show you who they are believe them.
14. Forgive- Holding on to unforgiveness is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
15. You can tell who people are by the way they treat people who can do nothing for them. I always watch to see how people treat the busser, maid, janitor, etc.
16. God’s not wasteful, He will use your mistakes and turn it around for good.
17. Savor life’s flavors in food and wine. I have so many sweet memories that are tied to food and wine. Just eating a certain meal can take me back to a time when I was abroad that brings me such joy.
18. Learn different languages; it allows you to connect with more people.
19. All things are possible with God- don’t listen to the haters or pessimists, you really can do anything through Him.
20. When you enter a new level in your professional career that brings you into a new room of people, be quiet! You can learn more by listening than talking. Don’t make yourself a fool by blabbing just to be heard or noticed.
21. You know yourself better than anyone else- I’m the only 25 year old me, you can’t tell me how to be me.
22. When you look good, you feel good. Make yourself get ready and dress up, it will make you feel better.
23. Don't be led by your emotions (even the most powerful emotion of all: love), but by your morals. If you stand firm on your morals and values it will keep you from trouble, despair, and regret. I had to learn this the hard way!
24. Stop crossing deserts for people who won’t jump over a puddle for you.
25. Living well is the best revenge.